Friday, March 11, 2011

Humanity

So, I was just browsing YouTube, and was catching up on some of my subscriptions.  I watch this show called the Phillip DeFranko Show.  He does the news and makes it funny usually.  It's kind of like the Soup, only real news stories.  Today, however, he was really serious.  He was talking about Japan and the horrible natural disasters there.  He was most touched because his mother called him concerned because she thought he was still in Italy.  He isn't.  But that made him realize that people all over the world were making that same phone call, but not getting a response.  


     But, that's not what really got to me.  What got to me were the comments.  There were so many good ones.  People saying pray for Japan and telling Phil how touching that video was.  It was refreshing to see that side of him.  However, other comments blew my mind.  Like this one: "The Japs killed Americans so I don't really care what happens to them.  I just care about the U.S. west coast."


Hmm. I'm pretty sure we set two nuclear bombs on them.  And killed thousands or more innocent people.  And nuclear bombs don't just kill on impact.  The aftermath affects the lives of those for a long time.  It kills me to think about all the babies born with birth defects because of it.  And yet, they killed us.  So we don't care that thousands of innocent people were swept up by a giant wave as the slept or drove to work.  We don't care that they were crushed by a fallen building during the quake and it's after shocks.  


     when will we decide to see past race, gender, and nationality?  When will we realize we are all people?  


     Pray for Japan.  Pray that Hawaii stays safe.  Pray that we all some humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment