Friday, January 14, 2011

I See You

     I came home today with full intentions of writing about rumors and how they spread like wildfire through a high school.  But then I got some news about that rumor...

     Today, we had a two hour delay, so everything was out of whack.  After second block, we went to fourth.  Between that time their was something going on in the music department of the school.  People asked me what was going on, but I didn't know because I didn't have class down there second block.  Well, my two friends who do have class down there came into fourth block and said someone got hurt down there and they shut the whole wing down.  I know the girl; she played soccer with me last year.  I was of course worried and feared the worst.  And of course because of instant access to Facebook from our cellphones, rumors were already being spread.  I was furious.  No one who was even in the department knew what was going on, yet people were spreading all this stuff.  All I knew was they were lifeflighting her.

  But now I know what really happened.  She tried to kill herself.  I don't even want to write it.  And it hurts me so much because I never saw it coming.  She didn't succeed, thank God.  But what was going on in her head that no one knew about?  When I would look at her, I would see a beautiful girl who was for sure going to be in Madrigal next year because she has a beautiful voice.  I saw a love of music in her and a love of the music department that I love so much.  She has a spunk that I am jealous of.  She always makes it a point to say hi to me, and I always make sure I say hi back with a smile.  But maybe I should have done more.  Took more time to get to know her.  Of course, she is two years younger than me.  We have no classes together, and we both no longer play soccer.  But still... I just feel like something could have been done.  Maybe I could have done something to change her life.

    When your still trying to find yourself, it's so hard to see anyone else.  Your stuck in your world.  I guess, maybe we all need to be a bit more open to everyone else.


"We can't be oblivious
We are not ignorant

Blood in our hearts
Blood on our hands

We're human
We reason
We're breathing
Protecting
You're living and dying,surviving,we're trying
To breathe in safety
Come home safely"
-Flyleaf

2 comments:

  1. You are a great friend to be worried about her.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that happened at your school, Taylor. I have such a hard time when things like this happen because it's so hard for me to believe that this person had no other place to turn. I hate she felt so alone that this was her only choice. I'm glad you shared this with us because it is such a reminder to reach out to the people we love and let them know we care. And, you should definitely not blame yourself--it is a mental illness.

    ReplyDelete